Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Favorite Shows: The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl

I'm actually new to watching this web drama, but I am officially hooked. I am so grateful to Hateya over at The Blasian Narrative for writing about The Misadventures of the Awkward Black Girl. I wanted to see what the hype was about, so I checked out the episodes.



I was completely captivated. I actually watched the ninth episode first, and was intrigued. Episode 01: 'The Stop Sign' had me laughing so hard, until I had tears in my eyes.

All in all, you must watch this series. It's a mixture of drama and comedy that has a wonderfully diverse and talented cast. It's really refreshing to view another side of Black women, because we are not one dimensional as it may seem.  Issa Rae, the shows creator, plays the main character.

For me the show is absolutely relatable. When something is meant to be funny, it's actually funny. The comedy is not dry like some of the shows on the major networks. The series has been able to keep its "realness" simply because it's not on television. It the networks had their way, the show wouldn't be original anymore.

For more episodes: Issa Rae on Youtube

The cast includes:

Issa Rae as "J"
Sujata Day as "CeCe"
Tracy Oliver as "Nina"
Madison T. Shockley III as "Fred"
Lyman Johnson as "White Jay"
Andrew Allan James as "A"
Tristan Winger as "Darius"
Kiki Harris as "Patti"
Hanna as "Boss Lady"
Fahad as "Amir"

Shea William Vanderpoort is the Cinematographer.

You can view full cast information here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...