Thursday, November 17, 2011

Jimmy Kimmel's National UnFriend Day Has Some Merit

After watching this episode of the Jimmy Kimmel Live show, I gave some serious thought to the whole "friend" situation on Facebook. Honestly, it doesn't make sense to to call random people your friend- I know the difference. Do I call every person I meet my friend? Certainly no, these people are more like acquaintances. Most of the people that I know are my coworkers. If it wasn't for our work environment, then I wouldn't even talk to most of them.




Oprah & Gayle: True Friendship
For me, a friend is someone that has your back at all times. They are real with you at all times, not just telling you what you want to hear, but even telling you when you are full of yourself. I equate a true friendship to the likes of Oprah Winfrey and Gayle King, or Holly Robinson Peete and Terry Lynn Ellis.

I can admit that over half (actually it's more than this amount) of people that I am so called "friends" with, I do not know nor interact with. When I am on Facebook, it's to check the status of my other blog,  or to check the latest news from blogs or people that I actually want to view. The only reason as to why I even set up a Facebook page was to promote my Ivolve Beauty blog.

So, I have decided to take Jimmy Kimmel's advice, whether the show's intentions were genuine or not, and be a part of the National UnFriend Day.

I'm tired of the facade. I look forward to deleting quite a few people from my Facebook page.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...