Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Curly Hairstyles for Black Women

Esperanza Spalding
Last.fm
As a black woman, learning to embrace my curly hair after wearing it straight for the majority of my life has been enlightening. My hair is naturally curly, but I've mainly straightened it by the use of pressing combs. There would often be times when I would dread having to do my hair. The whole process of washing, sitting under the dryer, and pressing/ straightening, would consume my whole day.
After some research, I decided to take the plunge.


The very first time I decided to wear my hair curly, I didn't like the results. I had imagined super defined, voluminous curls. In my eyes, my hair didn't turn out the way I liked. So, back to straight hair.

While suffering from a toothache, I decided that I would wash my hair, style it in some twists, let it dry, and see what would happen. I didn't feel like spending two hours with a hot iron close to my scalp. Hallelujah! My curls were beautiful!

I can admit that it has been a journey, which so far, has been rewarding. Yes, I do have great hair days, and some days where creativity is my best friend.

Bottom line - find what works for you.

Below are some images of my favorite curly hairstyles.


Viola Davis
SheKnows.com
Jill Scott
BestHairstyleCuts.com
Kelly Rowland
DailyMakeover.com
Kelly Rowland
Indique.SquareSpace.com
Solange Knowles
BellaSugar.com
Solange Knowles
IHeartMyHair.com
Tanika Ray
BeautyRiot.com
Esperanze Spalding
Last.fm
Yaya DaCosta
Zimbio.com
Yaya DaCosta
Zimbio.com
Elle Varner
Last.fm
Garcelle Beauvais
Zimbio.com
Yvette Nicole Brown
Zimbio.com

6 comments:

  1. They really can carry that look. I think curly hair is probably one of the toughest if not the toughest type of hair to maintain or even style. It poses a different challenge for the hair stylist to make something out of. That's why I have consulted hairdressers adelaide all the time when talking about this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...